Chinese Scooter Club Forum Index

Home | Forum | Arcade

swap 50cc for 150cc mod
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chinese Scooter Club Forum Index -> Tuning and Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mcmutt6



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 140
Karma: 0

Location: Pompano Beach FL. USA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: swap 50cc for 150cc mod Reply with quote

To update you even thow have post before about the fact that I currently have Axon50cc and Will be upgrading to 2010 Rave50cc the scooter also comes with 150cc but its the same scooter. It is large heavy duty 150cc style and even has 13 inch rims and dual shocks in the rear. Today I went down to my local Qlink dealer and ask how easy it would be to put a 150cc that scooter. He said it would be now problem at all and it would only cost $200.00 for the engine. This to me seems how lot cheaper and easier than doing the 72cc or 82cc upgrade.To me I really want to keep my 50cc plate so this is worth it. Imagine having a 50cc scooter with a 150cc motor in it. I will have the best of both worlds. Since the top speed will be 60 mph, that is fast enough for me so I will keep it stock no mods needed. How many of you guys out have done a 50cc to 150cc mod? I would like to know what you all think off this.



_________________
Axon50cc Qlink
vespa50cc
derby50cc
elite250cc
aero50cc
website: mcmutt.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mightbesane



Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 4020
Karma: +91

Location: Pennsylvania, USA/Languedoc, France

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're asking us what we think of your plan to skirt the law in Florida? Confused

If you had asked about the modification by itself, that's one thing. When you say that you want to do it to "keep my 50cc plate" that's another thing. I'm not a Moderator here, but if I were my answer would be, "We won't help you break the law."



_________________
Over to the Dark Side
2004 Burgman 400

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
NOLA Scott



Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 1426
Karma: +24

Location: NOLA, baby!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another thread about someone who was contemplating this. Search for it, read it, understand what folks mean when they say things like "you will kill yourself".

And if you do it, you no longer have a 50cc scooter. It is a 150cc scooter. Just because I put an Apple sticker on my Dell doesn't mean it will magically stop crashing.



_________________
I can fill up for under $3. What's that SUV take?
150cc Velocity Eagle Style.
50cc NST/Shenke/Jonway/insert brand here on the lam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmutt6



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 140
Karma: 0

Location: Pompano Beach FL. USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I not sure what you what you are saying there nola but again the scooter I'm getting is a 150 scooter it comes as 150cc scooter or 50cc but I say one more time that its 150cc scooter and will safe to drive even the Qlink dealer confirmed its the same scooter. It will be as fast and safe as your own 150cc velocity eagle.



_________________
Axon50cc Qlink
vespa50cc
derby50cc
elite250cc
aero50cc
website: mcmutt.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yaz813



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 289
Karma: +9

Location: Kansas City Mo. U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after comparing the two scoots at the Qlink site. it looks to me that the motor is not the only difference. by the time you convert from the drum rear brakes to the disk that the 150cc has and the different exhaust, also the rear shock springs appear to be lighter on the 50cc, you could have just bought the 150cc. also the fact that if you are in an accident on that 150cc tagged as a 50cc you may be in for an insurance and financial nightmare. I see in your sig that you have a 250cc. why would you need to keep a 50cc classification on this new scoot?

I am not trying to be a spoil sport but this is not an old rat rod it is a brand new scoot. others looking in to this swap have an old 50cc and or a wrecked 150cc that they are looking to merge for a project.

if you want something and you tell the dealer you want it he will only say no if it is not gonna make him money. I feel you should e-mail qlink and let them know what dealer you are talking to and ask them directly how the 150cc engine will effect the 50cc scoot.

I know if you are dead set on this you will not change your mind but please keep what we are saying in mind. it may save you a headache , jeremy



_________________
2003 SunL 50cc 2 stroke QM50QT-B2
2004 Pantara Retro 50cc
2008 Roketa MC-23-150K
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ivanna_Humpalot



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 2094
Karma: +58

Location: Great Yarmouth & London, UK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaz813 wrote:
after comparing the two scoots at the Qlink site. it looks to me that the motor is not the only difference. by the time you convert from the drum rear brakes to the disk that the 150cc has and the different exhaust, also the rear shock springs appear to be lighter on the 50cc, you could have just bought the 150cc. also the fact that if you are in an accident on that 150cc tagged as a 50cc you may be in for an insurance and financial nightmare. I see in your sig that you have a 250cc. why would you need to keep a 50cc classification on this new scoot?

I am not trying to be a spoil sport but this is not an old rat rod it is a brand new scoot. others looking in to this swap have an old 50cc and or a wrecked 150cc that they are looking to merge for a project.

if you want something and you tell the dealer you want it he will only say no if it is not gonna make him money. I feel you should e-mail qlink and let them know what dealer you are talking to and ask them directly how the 150cc engine will effect the 50cc scoot.

I know if you are dead set on this you will not change your mind but please keep what we are saying in mind. it may save you a headache , jeremy


I think you just hit the nail on the head there Yaz! Icon_thumbs_up Icon_icon_cheers



_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmutt6



Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 140
Karma: 0

Location: Pompano Beach FL. USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last time this scooter is one scooter only not two Its the same scooter. Yes you do get a disc upgrade 150cc but it the same scooter as drum one. I don't care about the disc option would be happy with drums. Yes of course you need a 150cc exhaust but I already talked to them about that and decided on a MSD stainless exhaust. but again its the same scooter. With 50cc and drum brakes or 150cc with disc its the same scooter. Qlink says its the same why would they lie about something silly like that. I have seen it for my self I spend lots time at the shop checking out the cool rides.Its a easy up grade. Yes I am set on doing some kind of mod. 72 or 82 .I have chosen a 50cc 4 sroke scooter. I could have taken the easy way out and got a 2 stroke but I am worried about the planet so made sacrifice of getting away from 2 stokes. So my only options if I want a four stroke 50cc is an upgrade kit .Now I could that type of mod that twice the price a lot more work and hard to tune and 82cc mods will even sometimes even blow up on you or I could just at half the price have a quality Qlink stock 150cc installed by Qlink mechanics that is a easy mod. As for 250cc you were asking about I got new in 1985 don't have it any more all those scooters listed are one that I did own my Axon is the only scooter I have so please try understand my motives and last no more two scooter talk.



_________________
Axon50cc Qlink
vespa50cc
derby50cc
elite250cc
aero50cc
website: mcmutt.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
yaz813



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 289
Karma: +9

Location: Kansas City Mo. U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me make my self perfectly clear. I am not talking about two scooters just one. the chassis for your 50cc may be the same as the 150cc model. but the 150 has different safety benefits that you will miss out on. such as disk brakes.

when I referred to two scoots I was giving an example of why people convert a 50cc to a 150cc via a motor swap. those of us who have been modding and upgrading chinese scoots for a while know how hard it is to get a 4 stroke 50cc to perform. the 150cc is the way to go for easy performance out of the box. we also know that a standard 50cc chassis can not handle a 150cc engine. it may fit but due to brakes and chassis flex it is not a good idea. I see that qlink appears to be using the same chassis for the 50cc and the 150cc of this model. but again the drum brakes are not a good idea on a 150cc.

also you have a legal matter to consider. it will be ILLEGAL to run this on the street as a 50cc. you may not run into a problem but if you do it may get expensive and you may even lose your scoot or even the insurance on all of your vehicles. insurance can get very touchy when it comes to fraud. that is what running a 150cc as a 50cc would be considered. did you run that by qlink and the dealer? I assume if it came down to it, you telling the judge that the dealer said it was ok would not cut it. yes technically a big bore kit on a 50cc is the same,but when you are avoiding the legal 150cc to by the same scoot as a 50cc and immediately make it a 150cc is very fraudulent. most big bores happen after someone rides it as a 50cc and then realizes they need more power. they should tag and insure them after that but since registration was not taken care of at purchase it is now not possible.

but since you have checked this all out and everyone you spoke with says you are good to go then do it. let us know how it turns out. I am interested to know what the final price is after parts and labor for this conversion.



_________________
2003 SunL 50cc 2 stroke QM50QT-B2
2004 Pantara Retro 50cc
2008 Roketa MC-23-150K
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ivanna_Humpalot



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 2094
Karma: +58

Location: Great Yarmouth & London, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaz813 wrote:
let me make my self perfectly clear. I am not talking about two scooters just one. the chassis for your 50cc may be the same as the 150cc model. but the 150 has different safety benefits that you will miss out on. such as disk brakes.

when I referred to two scoots I was giving an example of why people convert a 50cc to a 150cc via a motor swap. those of us who have been modding and upgrading chinese scoots for a while know how hard it is to get a 4 stroke 50cc to perform. the 150cc is the way to go for easy performance out of the box. we also know that a standard 50cc chassis can not handle a 150cc engine. it may fit but due to brakes and chassis flex it is not a good idea. I see that qlink appears to be using the same chassis for the 50cc and the 150cc of this model. but again the drum brakes are not a good idea on a 150cc.

also you have a legal matter to consider. it will be ILLEGAL to run this on the street as a 50cc. you may not run into a problem but if you do it may get expensive and you may even lose your scoot or even the insurance on all of your vehicles. insurance can get very touchy when it comes to fraud. that is what running a 150cc as a 50cc would be considered. did you run that by qlink and the dealer? I assume if it came down to it, you telling the judge that the dealer said it was ok would not cut it. yes technically a big bore kit on a 50cc is the same,but when you are avoiding the legal 150cc to by the same scoot as a 50cc and immediately make it a 150cc is very fraudulent. most big bores happen after someone rides it as a 50cc and then realizes they need more power. they should tag and insure them after that but since registration was not taken care of at purchase it is now not possible.

but since you have checked this all out and everyone you spoke with says you are good to go then do it. let us know how it turns out. I am interested to know what the final price is after parts and labor for this conversion.


Have a K+. Icon_thumbs_up



_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NOLA Scott



Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 1426
Karma: +24

Location: NOLA, baby!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I know what you want to hear...


Go for it, Dude!

Ignore all this talk about safety and legality. Stick it to the man and put a 150 on the bike and claim it's still a 50. I mean, the stickers still say 50, don't they?



_________________
I can fill up for under $3. What's that SUV take?
150cc Velocity Eagle Style.
50cc NST/Shenke/Jonway/insert brand here on the lam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ivanna_Humpalot



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 2094
Karma: +58

Location: Great Yarmouth & London, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOLA Scott wrote:
Ignore all this talk about safety and legality.


That's exactly what we don't want to do. Endanger yourselves and/or road users. By encouraging an illegal bike on the roads, you're doing just that.

The OP has been answered and there are two outcomes therefore I think this thread should be locked as I can see it developing in to something unpleasant.

If he choses to swap the 50 for the 150 engine and get the plate changed so that it's legal then so be it and good luck, but otherwise I'd say it's too much of a touchy subject.



_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mightbesane



Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 4020
Karma: +91

Location: Pennsylvania, USA/Languedoc, France

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivanna_Humpalot wrote:
NOLA Scott wrote:
Ignore all this talk about safety and legality.


That's exactly what we don't want to do. Endanger yourselves and/or road users. By encouraging an illegal bike on the roads, you're doing just that.

The OP has been answered and there are two outcomes therefore I think this thread should be locked as I can see it developing in to something unpleasant.

If he choses to swap the 50 for the 150 engine and get the plate changed so that it's legal then so be it and good luck, but otherwise I'd say it's too much of a touchy subject.


mcmutt6 has explained that the body of the 50 and the 150 are interchangeable. I'll accept that and assume that there are no safety issues. The issue of legality, however, is something else again. My response all the way up at the top still stands.

K+ Ivanna for upholding the integrity of the CSC.



_________________
Over to the Dark Side
2004 Burgman 400

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mightbesane



Joined: 05 Sep 2008
Posts: 4020
Karma: +91

Location: Pennsylvania, USA/Languedoc, France

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOLA Scott wrote:
Wait, I know what you want to hear...


Go for it, Dude!

Ignore all this talk about safety and legality. Stick it to the man and put a 150 on the bike and claim it's still a 50. I mean, the stickers still say 50, don't they?


Irony, I hope. Lost on most here.



_________________
Over to the Dark Side
2004 Burgman 400

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ivanna_Humpalot



Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 2094
Karma: +58

Location: Great Yarmouth & London, UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightbesane wrote:
mcmutt6 has explained that the body of the 50 and the 150 are interchangeable. I'll accept that and assume that there are no safety issues. The issue of legality, however, is something else again. My response all the way up at the top still stands.

K+ Ivanna for upholding the integrity of the CSC.


Thanks, one back at ya.



_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yaz813



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 289
Karma: +9

Location: Kansas City Mo. U.S.A.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it running keep it safe keep it legal

oh and heres a k+ to nat.



_________________
2003 SunL 50cc 2 stroke QM50QT-B2
2004 Pantara Retro 50cc
2008 Roketa MC-23-150K
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chinese Scooter Club Forum Index -> Tuning and Modifications All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Theme created by Vjacheslav Trushkin
Effex-Media Web Resources

Scooters | Scooter Insurance | Moped Insurance | Direct Bikes | Direct Bikes Reviews


Free Forum Free Top Site List
Make this Forum Ad-Free




31653718